Tuesday, February 4, 2014

So I have this wall...

Like I mentioned in my Previous post, I have this wall in my kitchen that I need your help with


When I renovated my kitchen last summer, I really wanted a cabinet placed here beside the oven wall. However, the Cabinet designer, convinced me otherwise since the space was gonna be too tight and no cabinet would fit in that narrow corner well without causing any problem with the island across…


So I thought, I'll just have a furniture there small enough for my coffee station.

I first used this Threshold bar cart, But it didn't fit that corner as well.
So I made the Switcheroo as you know already.

So now that I love how my DIY Bar Cart looked here, I now want extra storage up top.

And here are my options so far…

Straight and Narrow Wall storage from Land of Nod

PROS: as the name implies - straight and narrow, love the knobs on the bottom to hang my cups in
CONS: not sure about the finish since it might not match the type of white on the wall (I can always paint) and style, it's 23.75" wide

Chantilly Wall Shelves from Land of Nod
PROS: pretty, matches my gold shelf, easy install, perfect size
CONS: might be too 'dainty' and I might grow tired of the design easily
Dillon Triple Glass Shelf from RH
PROS: Elegant design & perfect chrome finish, love the amount of storage
CONS: at 21" might still be a bit too tight for the wall
Format Storage from CB2
PROS: goes with anything, display options in, out and on top are limitless
CONS: might be squeezing it a bit at 22", might not be sturdy enough for mugs or coffee, may look to modern in my kitchen

Sift Raw Wall Shelf from CB2
PROS: Perfect for my Coffee station paraphernalia with lots of storage, sturdy-looking
CONS: again this will be a tight fit at 24", may be too industrial-looking????

Hayden Chalkboard from PB Kids
PROS: Love that I could easily change up the decor on the chalk board and the shelf is cute
CONS: Too wide (24") and a bit tall too

So what do you think?  I really don't want this blank wall here, but I want some function on it too and not just hang a piece of art .
Please HELP, I value your opinion and would appreciate any suggestion you can make. 
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Have a Great Day!

*VEL*

 Would love to hear your thoughts! Please share away...

16 comments:

  1. My two favorites for your kitchen would be the chantilly wall shelves or the sift raw wall shelf. Can't wait to see what you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Vel, so much choises! Anyway, I like the first one to fit your small narrow Wall and maybe painted in gray, though, not White. I like the modern types too because your kitchen also goes that way! Anyway, you got great taste you'll decide on the perfect thing, lol!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the square cubbies! Maybe you could spray them to match your pantry grids for a less industrial look? I also love chalk boards. They're so much fun! Whatever you choose, I know it'll be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vel,

    You know if the topic is "kitchen" I can't help but tossing in my two cents ;) I couldn't find the dimensions of the wall (depth, width) but I'm assuming you want something with a depth (front to back) less than the 21" you mention. Standard upper cabinets measure 12" deep without door fronts. Could have your kitchen designer order an "upper cabinet" from the same collection your's came from so the color / finish matches, and have it installed as the "base cabinet" where the coffee bar currently is, facing the same direction as the current cart, so you stand in the walkway (?) to fix an espresso. If you preferred closed storage check into options for sliding doors on the cabinet vs. swing open doors ... the sliding doors won't take away from the clearance between this cabinet and the island. Slap a piece of matching or contrast countertop on it. Finish the wall with shallow floating shelves to hold cute cups, coffee accessories, etc. Or you could install another upper cabinet above your "base", but I'd make sure there was a fair amount of open wall space between the two and nothing that resembles the traditional spacing between base and upper cabinets. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vel! All the choices are lovely, but my personal favorite is the Sift Raw Wall Shelf. Can't wait to see what you choose - I know it will look terrific! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO much fun, and so many choices--all great ones!

    I'm with Fabby--my favorite to serve that space would be the Straight & Narrow unit from Land of Nod--it has shelves AND nobs (love your idea of hanging the mugs!!!), and will provide a lot of interest for a little space. And--like Fabby said--you could always update it to the finish you want, but I also love mixing styles (traditional, retro, modern...).

    Best of luck and cannot wait to see what you do with your space! Off to drink more coffee now... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the square cubbies from CB2.
    It is very modern!
    Have a nice day.
    Margaret
    http://www.decordesireforbeauty.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the CB2 industrial cubbies - and I would switch out that coffee station to a cocktail area!!!!
    Cheers!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Sift Raw Wall Shelf from CB2. I think that even though it may be more industrial, the way you style it will make the most difference. Plus, it's super functional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of your choices and the thought you have given to each of them. For your pretty kitchen I think the first choice would work nicely. You can customize the back of the shelf with wallpaper, chalkboard paint or simply paint to make it work with what you already have, and the price is great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Vel! You've picked some lovely choices and I can't wait to see what you decide. Have you thought about simple white shelves, maybe 3? I do love shelves. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite ideas are the first and the last. Maybe you can have something that looks like #1 built that would be a tad wider if you need more storage and hooks instead of knobs for the cups? As for the blackboard, I'm sure you can find one that is right for your dimensions and you could also have hooks put on the little bottom shelf for your cups! I can't wait to see what you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vel, I really like the first choice. I think you can paint it in another color to match your kitchen. Can't wait to see what you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My vote is for the CB2 shelf as long as you think it fits in with the style of the rest of your space. It's such a cool look and would be great for storing lots of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All wonderful choices. If I were to pick, I will vote for the first one or the last one because they look good with the rest of your pieces. Happy weekend, Vel!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!