There's been a ton of new ways of doing photo books lately.
If your a fan of this way of displaying photos sans photo albums, you know what I'm talking about.
From almost all the stores and the apps around, there are so many types and price range of photo books out there, that It's really tempting to try some, and I have been a huge fan of this way of showing my photos ever since Shutterfly started. I have a lot of photo books from this store....
I have recently tried a few of the new ones that are available and I would like to share my 2-cents worth of opinion on each one and let you decide which ones you'd like to try.
1) Sam's Club Premium Photobook
1) Very affordable ($24 for this one, normally $29) but they usually do promos and sales, so getting discount is easy.
2) Great picture quality and love the glossy and thick paper/cardboard, definitely water and smudge proof.
3) You can pick it up from the store! Save you on shipping.
4) You can lay it flat without worrying if the pages will come off.
1) The program it uses to arrange the pictures and book takes some time to getting used to. Not difficult, but just different from what I would consider easy.
2) Not a lot of options on the backgrounds and themes (no Halloween for example)
3) Shipping to store takes a while. More than a week. There is no RUSH order, so if your in a hurry to get it and give it away, I would not recommend this.
4) You can't make copies of the book and do different size on it. What size you start with, that's it.
5) Laying flat will show the prominent crease in the middle though.
1) Definitely a photobook worth showing! It's beautiful, sturdy and elegant.
2) Picture quality is superb.
3) Love that you can lay it flat without distorting image quality
4) All the pages are strong, sturdy and also smudge-free and water-proof.
5) Library-bound book.
5) Library-bound book.
6) Easy to use editing software.
1) A bit expensive, I ordered the 12 X 12 leather one and got a coupon for a sample copy, and still paid $80 for it. It would have been $190 if I didn't. Shipping is free. I think it depends on the number of pages and size of course, have not tried their $20 black book version yet.
2) Takes a while to get your order, mine took also almost 2 weeks to be delivered.
3) Heavy. Not something you'd lug around to show off, it best sits on your coffee table.
3) Groove Book
1) Cheapest one out there with 100 photos/book at $2.99 with FREE SHIPPING, you can order and give away as many as you want. Plus there's always a coupon code for a FREE BOOK for a friend always. You can use this code CRISTE9 and get 1 for free if you'd like to try it out
2) App is FREE.
3) Easy to use app.
4) Good for both iphones and Android.
1) Flimsiest paper among all the books I think, very thin and picture quality is not great.
2) Easily pulls apart (which is partly the point since the idea is you might want to just tear a picture up and give it away instantly).
3) It only shows the date & time of the photos from your phone, you cannot add any additional texts.
4) You cannot change the sequence of photos you have. You can choose what to put on the book, but not change the sequence of it.
5) You can't customize covers, they choose it for you.
4) Chat Books
|Like the labels on the side|
1) Affordable at $6 for the Instagram and Chatbook series (60 photos each book). Shipping is FREE.
2) Very easy to use app
3) You can add additional texts to your photos and easily change the sequence of photos around.
4) App is also free
5) You can add tittles to your book
6) Lightweight, pictures are crisp and clear
1) Only for iphone users as of now.
2) Custom books are priced higher and but can go up to 300 pages, you pay shipping at $2.95
3) Shipping took longer than I expected, no rush orders too
4) Paper is a bit thin
There are other apps out there that does photo books, I still have to try them. But so far, I enjoyed making these particularly the chapbooks which I can do anytime on my phone. I would recommend trying any of these since it would make awesome gifts for yourself or others!
Have a Great Week friends!
Would love to hear your thoughts! Please share away...