Thursday, October 31, 2013

Week 5 - Tween Boy Bedroom Updates - DECOR & Furniture galore!

Like everyone in this ORC Challenge, problems do arise.

 For us it was with the room arrangement.

We originally had the bed on the back wall like this...
BEFORE
ORIGINAL ROOM LAY OUT

I originally wanted this lay out....
REVISED LAY OUT
But when we painted, and placed the bed on the same spot...

Uh-oh?! I didn't like the way it's looking
I didn't like how it looked because I realized the huge foot board 
of the bed got in the way of 'seeing' the actual bed!

And of course, since the bed is usually the focal point in any room, I wanted it to be seen. Plus, originally, I wanted the bookshelves on both side of the bed, however, lighting was an issue. I wanted to use the lamps that were originally in the room  so having the bookshelves on both side plus side tables didn't seem to look good to me.

So this bed made a move , can you guess where? I'll show it in the reveal.

Second problem - I THOUGHT WE HAD 2 MORE WEEKS BEFORE ORC REVEAL!!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHH!

And since I was gearing up for one more post before next week, your gonna be in for a longer post this week. So let's start.
Fist off,  I got busy upgrading some furniture!
Remember this?

My $5 Marshall Fields Mid-Century Dresser 
It did this upgrade....

Yup, it's gone navy too

Love the grooves on the drawer

But too plain, so added this gold


Since I'm a 'lazy' DIY-er, I spray painted this whole thing using 2 cans of Valspar Spray paint !
Love this spray paint and would recommend it if you plan to spray paint furniture since it DOESN'T DRIP! Really easy to use and I painted the gold using Martha Stewart Antique gold paint and brushes.

And here it is now...


We used the same gold bar handles we used for our kitchen, added a couple of coats of polyurethane and viola! Come to think of it, one handle (which cost $9.40) cost more than the whole dresser itself! :-)

I also HACKED THE LACK!


BEFORE

AFTER
I used 2 old IKEA LACK tables, one black and one brown, had hubs screw the top of one to the bottom of the other and then sparyed the same VALSPAR spray paint + multiple coats of polyurethane! Plan to add castors later on for easy moving. :-)

I think this Parson look-a-like is pretty awesome & easy!

Next, I've been doing a lot of shopping...

Very Practical TARGET option 

Pillows on clearance

Got lucky Globe shopping at the Thrift - $3 a piece
.. and Decorating!

Book Ledges
Study area

TV area

I hope you guys check out the reveal next week since I think looking back at all the progress made in everyone's space, this is gonna be one of the best ORC Yet!

Hooray! Now, go out and have some fun this Halloween after your check on the others progress!!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Linking back to...

Calling it home


If you want  to see the evolution of this space click on the LINKS BELOW...



Also Linking back to these other Fabulous Parties...


This project was also featured at...

Featured At Serenity Now

33 comments:

  1. You have made a lot of progress! The first ORC I participated in I went about 3 weeks over. It was for a client and I just couldn't finish:) The Ikea hack is a great idea....and adding the wheels will make it higher at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's not fair! I was hoping to see the new layout :) Your "new" mid-century dresser is gorgeous!
    I see you're putting the final touches, happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have been busy! I think a different arrangement is a good idea. Can't wait to see your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great Vel! What a cool hangout for a tween boy. He and his friends will love it. good luck with the reveal next week, you can do it!
    xoxo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mid century modern dresser makeover and I especially love the gold handles! Can't wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we had 2 weeks left!! Your room is looking great. I love the blue chest with that gold hardware!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool dresser and side table! Can't wait to see the finale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love how it is coming along. Can't wait to see it all done. Looking good. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the room is looking Awesome!! Love the navy blue, and the gold spray painted hardware. Hack the Lack, that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow wow! I love what youve done! So creative! And the quote on all the pieces, is perfect.
    Aesthetic Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to seeing the new layout. All of your furniture is looking awesome. I like that bedding. I am so looking forward to seeing your completed space next week.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great globe finds! Can't wait to see the final layout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really coming together, Vel! Love it! And I feel your pain..I'm struggling with my room layout, too. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the navy! Love the gold! Love how the dresser came out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done so much to this room. Such great stuff everywhere; so much to look at. Great paint jobs, by the way. The dark wall behind the bed will draw it in closer. That is a great-sized room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fantastic, Vel! You should be proud of all the hard work you put into this! I love the colors and it's a room that your son will love!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vel, that furniture makeover is perfect. I love the colors and the large pulls. I want to know where you moved the bed. This is one cut boy's room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait for the reveal. So much suspense! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE what you did to that dresser...extremely creative....Yikes I know how you feel...one more week...I have to be done on Saturday ...showhouse stuff next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This room is going to look great. Love the colors you are using. Can't wait to see the room next week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the navy paint you picked. And those brass pulls are so gorgeous! Can't wait to see this room next week, I know it will be fantastic!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vel I love all the blue you are pulling into this room. It anchors the space so well. You've been a busy lady, how on earth do you do it all and work???? You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rearranging furniture is a great idea, it can totally change the feel of a room. I did it recently in my bedroom and now I use the room even in the day, which I didn't before!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too funny, as I was reading I thought exactly what Lisa wrote, how on earth do you do it all!!! I'm loving the painted blue pieces, and the Ikea hack is a great idea! You have so many amazing details in here, can't wait for next week! Thank goodness you realized in time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, great progress! I love the globes, especially the one with the reddish-orangeish base.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all your progress! That dresser looks great and you can never go wrong with some vintage globes!! Some might make an appearance in Kevin's room too! Can't wait to see it all come together next week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vel, you are progressing nicely. I love the dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's looking adorable! You're inspiring me to go out and find some globes. I think I need to live somewhere else because all the thrift shops here always seem to be picked over. I LOVE what you did to your $5 dresser - it looks amazing! Can't wait for your reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love love, love the dresser! Superb job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love what you're doing and wish I could find globes for that price around here! Such a score!

    xo Mary Jo
    http://MagicalMined.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice blog... Interesting and useful information that you have provided here on your post.

    clock table & 3m command

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice post dear. We also provide some services like you. Hope you like it heavy duty casters & kingpinless casters

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!