Thursday, October 27, 2016

40th Birthday Party - Aged to Perfection


I knew that I was going to throw a big party for my husband's 40th birthday, but I wasn't really sure how to go about it since it was for my "best friend and one true love", someone who I know don't want a big fuss when he is celebrating something, and of course, in general, A GUY!

Simple invite I chose from VISTAPRINT

I was lucky to get the perfect venue that was still available in our town for Homecoming weekend, and luckily they had a bar and also catered too. So I thought all I had to think of were the decorations, which I really didn't know how to go about, since like I said, he was a guy. ;-) Also, since I would be spending a pretty penny already on venue, food and drinks, I didn't have a big budget for decorations!

So about 1 week before the party,  I stumbled upon this on ETSY...

I'D RATHER DOODLE

I knew immediately I wanted this milestone birthday poster for my hubs birthday, and after browsing for some more stuff on I'D RATHER DOODLE page, I found everything I needed to get into my decorating swing (Thank you Natalie)!!!!!
LINK HERE
See? And all for a very, very reasonable price! I went ahead and started printing away, after all, this was my venue...

The Diamond Club at our local Baseball Park
And here was how it looked at 11:30 am the same day of the party...


 Party was at 6 pm, and I only started decorating with my son's help and another friend, the same morning! I knew balloons would be out, because it just felt 'young' for me after my daughter's balloon-filled birthday party!


Centerpiece
Centerpiece was very simple, placemat, plant and votive candle holders from IKEA, plus my printed sign, and viola, a simple, elegant centerpiece for MY GUY!

Gift table
I added Kraft paper on top of the gift table so guests can write wishes and notes and then I took a photo of them afterwards for us to keep and remember!

Yup, the birthday Poster went here as well as extra photos from here...

My favorite decor
 I stole this idea from Martha Stewart, saw this I think on her website or magazine years ago and thought this would be perfect. So I printed them the night before to fill this huge black wall by the buffet table.



Cake Table
For the cake table, I brought in my fiddle leaf fig trees from home and just added the same ikea place mats and stars behind.

Pumpkin and smores cupcakes



Cake was a yummy buttercream mocha



Overall the party was a huge success, everyone loved everything and though there were kids in the vicinity and we had to share the dance floor with them, I think it was what my husband exactly wanted - a "no-fuss' party that EVERYONE including, his own kids, enjoyed!

Have  A Great Halloween Weekend!





VEL



 Would love to hear your thoughts! Please share away...

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't expect anything less spectacular from you, Vel! And nothing is really fussy...simply cute, original and with so many cool ideas! The invites, the 40 made with photos and the kraft paper for writing memories just to name a few of the things I love. And its great that the kiddos were invited, they really add to the fun of a party.

    You have a gorgeous family. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Gerson...very handsome!

    Congrats on the great party and Happy Birthday to your man!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable - two big parties in one month!! You knocked it out of the park! I am seriously in awe of your many talents, Vel! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful celebration! You always do such a beautiful job setting up a party, no matter the occasion. Have a wonderful weekend, Vel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful gift you gave to your hubby for his 40th. The party was simple but oh so special. All your sweet and creative touches hit it out of the ball park lol!!! Great job. Glad you had a great night with friends and family. The family pics are so adorable.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super creative idea, Vel! You always do parties right. Happy 40th to hubby and kudos to you!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vel what an amazing party! Love truly lived in the details. May your husband have a wonderful 40th year. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing party! You are the best wife ever! All the best to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful theme! Simple yet thoughtful. And you guys look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!