Sunday, June 8, 2014

Outdoor Oasis 2014 - We've got a Pergola!

You all know how much we love our outdoor space right?

Our Outdoor oasis
But there's always room for improvement..

And a lot of people think we're done, and in a way we thought so too, but there's always room for improvement. The dining area was causing some problems, particularly the umbrella. 

I got it 2 years ago from JC PENNEY and for the size and shape it was a BIG BARGAIN. But it's giving way, and man, looking for a replacement is a pain, really expensive. 

Also we had this problem with all our neighbors pine trees...

Seedling conifers fall from the tree almost daily, eventually fall as cones and very sticky sap
Cleaning up the patio cushions were always a pain and also the floor. We wanted better roofing coverage in that area as well.

So we decided to put something more permanent.

Daddy had some help but mostly he this  did by his lonesome. Am I not lucky?!

We love it!

The awning is retractable



We chose this type of pergola because we plan to plant vines to grow around and above it like these...




source

source
source

We're not sure what type of vine we'll be using but we're leaning towards wisteria.



I think we're really in for a fun summer though no matter what, pergola or not!

Hope your Summer is going well!


VEL 

21 comments:

  1. That's awesome Vel! Lovely outdoor area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally ready for summer now! It looks great, and although you had to spend the money now you will save in the long run not having to buy more umbrellas and clean the coushins every day. Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outdoor space is amazing, Vel!! You must live out there! Enjoy your new pergola and pine needle-free dining area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your backyard is fabulous. Love the new pergola and that pool is definitely calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me this - why do you have to live so far away because I'm so wanting to hang out in your amazing backyard with you this summer :) The new pergola is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Vel! My sister just put one up as well and used the same kind of cover! They love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you've got so much space! i love all the pergolas you have. my little patio has some major envy, lol. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I would be LIVING out there! How gorgeous! Wisteria is absolutely one of my favorite plants of all time. I cut it all summer and put it all over the house. It just smells so divine. The pergola is so pretty already, but that will take it up even another notch. You guys are going to have so much fun out there. Looks like a party to me! xo Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swoooning over your lovely backyard space! Wonderfully done - good job by the hubby! You are lucky, indeed! we are having to re-do our backyard landscaping this year -- lost 8 rosebushes due to black spot....nothing lasts forever. Always more to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vel, This is so fantastic! I know you love your outdoor spaces and pool as much as I do ours, and I have always wanted a pergola at the end of our pool to shield us from the sun, but now our trees are so overgrown they shade the pool! Yours is fabulous and looks great. I know youre loving floating in the water while pregnant- no pressure points!!! I remember this with my June son. Enjoy this gorgeous weather and have a great week my friend! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted a pergola! Is that the steel one from Lowe's?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just beautiful, Vel! I love your outdoor space. I think wisteria would be amazing on your pergola. I would love to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so perfect, Vel!! Just as beautiful as it is functional, and with a vine, oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vel! Oh, this is so pretty! I love your outdoor space - just gorgeous! Your home is so beautiful - inside and out! Hope you're feeling okay.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing backyard! I love the retractable awning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That pergola is so cute Vel! I love it! And it looks like it will help with the pine needles too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your outdoor area looks amazing! Your new pergola looks fabulous as well, it's so awesome to have a handy hubby!


    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely outdoor! Nice to laze around

    ReplyDelete
  19. The new pergola looks great! Such a nice place to relax! I think wisteria would look so pretty out there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vel I love it! We keep debating on wether we want to put one up. It would require us anchoring it to the patio though and we are not sure we want to do that. Thanx for partying!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So gorgeous! And the wisteria would be amazing with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!