Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Kitchen Renovation Update Day 14-18

And so the saga continues... This week has been a 'rollercoaster ride' for me.

First of all, we had a major Vent issue. Remember that I was changing my vent to this...

Used to have a drop-down vent

Well, the original plan was to take the duct work thru the ceiling and out the wall to the side of the house. Simple and easy right? Wrong. 
There were too many obstacles in the way for us to do that and I emphasized already that I did not want a re-circulating vent since the main reason why we're switching to an overhead vent was we wanted more of the cooking smell OUT!

Luckily though, our carpenter was very smart and luckily too, taking the vent all the way up thru the roof, it would only pass thru  a linen closet upstairs and not cause any unsightly pipes to show. And so the vent went up...

Chose a Zephyr Milano-G series vent
On the upside, after the vent was installed, a lot of the appliances went in too!

Small 18" Beverage fridge for the island

Built-in Trim kit for our old Panasonic microwave
Got the Built-in Trim kit idea from Lisa over at "Sine Your Light" Blog when she disscussed about Microwave ovens! Thanks a bunch Lisa! I saved a lot and am pretty happy with this kit, but I think my hubby is even happier - for the same reasons. ;-)

Viking warming Drawer
Decided to get one becuase I love to host parties and I don't like serving cold food at all come winter time. So finally have one. Hope I will use it enough!

 Then came  mid-week,  I got some bad news on the countertops, the last big piece of this 'puzzle'! Basically, a major delay since the stones were not yet even delivered to our area!

I chose Danby marble...

Danby Marble



source

source

Initially wanted Carrera marble but the countertop people advised me against it saying that it was "too soft" for the kitchen and would scratch up and stain more. So I chose one that kinda looked like carrera.
This will go on the island and office area.

The second stone I chose for a countertop is the  Emperadoro Ceasarstone...
source
source
It will go on the tops of all the cabinets.
Of course, for now, there's nothing we can do but wait... :-)

On the other up-side, I finally chose this bar stool for the island...

Ikea Urban Bar stool
I wanted white, backless and swivel stools and this one had the perfect color and price! Hopefully, it won't get so dirty in the long run, that's my biggest fear with white! We'll see..

Additional details on the Pantry Cabinet is up as well. Like the gold bar pulls and the furniture feet!
And lastly, the thing that went up this week that made me very happy was the wallpaper!




I will tell you more about the wall paper in my next post since
how I got it is a good story to share with you all. :-)
Oh and did I mention, I got sick too!!!!!
Better now, but still recovering.
That's my roller coaster week. Looking forward to the next days in this saga!

Have a Great Day!

*VEL* 

 Would love to hear your thoughts! Please share away...


Linking back to...

30 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love the warming drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you - this kitchen is going to be great! Your marble is gorgeous - hope it arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun seeing your actual choices! Waiting through the delays can be so frustrating but at least you have a great outside kitchen to use so you don't have to do drive thru fast food. Glad they figure out the vent issue cause if you don't want residual food odors you do need an out-venting hood. Hope you feel better. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Vel, this is so exciting! Of course, re-circulating vents should be banned! I love all the choices you have taken, the vent, those beautiful counters, the wallpaper... Wow! Oh, I also got a warming drawer, at first I thought I was not going to use it much...wrong. I love it!
    I'm back from my trip, I'm going to check your past posts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen is going to be magnificent! Beautiful ideas and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that warming drawer dear Vel, wow! Your kitchen is coming along beautifuly!!! Very clever to have figure it out the venting situation, caz that's something that also ruins wooden cabinets when not correctly done. Thanks for coming by pretty girl.
    Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your choices! Can't wait to hear more about the wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm beyond excited for you - that marble is incredible!!! Wallpaper rocks - can't wait to see more!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you are doing a major remodel, there will always be bumps in the road. But wow, you don't have much further to go! Can't wait. I am loving all of your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your range hood looks like the one that I just installed! Arent kitchen renovations fun, so much to do and decide on! You can check out some snippets of my kitchen renovation on my blog here :) http://jarrahjungle.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about your kitchen plans. You must be so happy that the hood issue is resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a busy week you've had! That warming drawer is such a fabulous idea. Wish we had one. We have Carrera marble and it is, indeed, soft and high maintenance.
    x Loi

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, it's looking Fabulous!! I can't wait to see it all finished. Great reno girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vel is is looking gorgeous and I know once you are completed it will be beyond gorgeous! Thanx for partying at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kitchen is going to be so beautiful. You really put a lot of thought into each item you chose for the space. I bet you're super excited to see your plans come together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry youve been sick sweet Vel! I love how everything's coming along, and love the marble! Patience, it'll be worth it. Love the warming drawer!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The kitchen is great and it has so many details that show how well you thought of everything. Can't wait to see ot with ocuntertops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your choices! This is going to be one amazing kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your choices! This kitchen is going to be amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too am redoing my kitchen and am faced with the same dilema regarding marble. Is the Danby marble different than other marbles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, the countertop people just basically told me that among the marble, Danby is used most in the Kitchen since it withstands staining and scratching more. Check out my blog in the weeks to come so you can see the marble in the kitchen. It still looks kinda like carrera still. But if your not going for a white type of marble in the first place, better go with granite or ceasarstone then. Good luck!

      Delete
  22. Oh Vel, it's looking SO amazing!!! I love all the choices you've made, and I'm so glad the microwave kit idea worked for you! (And thanks for the shout-out!) The hardware looks so pretty and I like how you did two colors on the cabinets. It's been so fun to follow along and I can't wait to see what's next!!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can tell it's going to be a beautiful kitchen.

    Ellya

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really going to be a beautiful kitchen when it's all done. I love all your inspiration--simple and modern!
    I'm stopping by from Serenity Now (#46 How To Paint Cabinets) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, Vel, it is going to be beautiful! I would literally be jumping out of my skin at this point and time. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the countertops! The wallpaper is gorgeous, and I read the previous post about the sweet bloggers helping you get just what you wanted. How fantastic!

    Have a great weekend!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post. I are looking into buying an older fixer upper and we will need to do some Kitchen Remodeling. We will definitely be keeping this blog in mind. Thanks for post this great information!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful idea, I am so excited by seeing your kitchen snaps. Great work! Granite Worktops.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's phenomenal, space has been used well to accommodate a fridge. Got some inspiration from this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!