Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Cooktop choices and dreams

Ok, now that you know how the kitchen will hopefully look like, let's start shoppin' and choosin' appliances for this space!

I need to replace the cooktop, vent, and dishwasher mainly. And so let's start with the first -
the cooktop.

If I were a millionaire and had no qualms about money whatsoever, this is what I would have...

officine gullo cooking machine




Of Course, I would have to live in a totally different house all together too! Hah!
However, you all know my cooktop is going on the island. Currently ours is electric cooktop and I will still get an electric one again. Three reasons: 1) We're used to it already 2) Safety (my husband just feels safer with electric than gas) 3) Cost - cheaper for us since we'll just be replacing what's already there and no more gas lines that need to be added.

Here's what I have right now...


And here are my choices...

1) Thermador 36" Masterpiece series  Induction cooktop




PROS: heats up fast and safe -only the bottom of your pan heats up so very safe for kids; beautiful cooktop to look at, very hi-tech looking, great brand

CONS: Induction cooktops are PICKY - you have to use ferromagnetic pans only, in laymans term, cast iron, enameled steel and some stainless steel pans! You cannot use normal stainless steel, glass, ceramic, copper or aluminum pans (which means I have to throw out all my pans all together!).

I recently bought a Salad Master Cookware set made upf titanium stainless steel, and I am not about to throw them out just get this kind of cooktop.

Also, I don't want touch buttons like these. Just feel like it might go hay wire on me at some point and seems that anything button-ey in a kitchen is difficult  (and costly) to fix?.

2) WOLF 36" electric cooktop
PROS: great  brand, cool hi-tech look
CONS: Among my 3 choices this was actually the most expensive, also don't like the touch buttons

3) Viking 36" Electric cooktop

This is actually my choice. Eversince my interest in design and homes flourished, I have always equated great kitchen with Viking. Call me a brand lover, I have some friends who swear by this brand when it come to cooking , in a good way. I also love the knobs instead of buttons for control and I love that it's customizable!

How about in your home? How do you cook - gas, electric, induction? Would love your input on this matter. Thanks!

Have A Wonderful day!

6 comments:

  1. Please get the Viking! :P I love Viking. I'm planning on getting that (or Wolf) in my forever house. Haha.

    I heard that gas is best if you want to have complete control over how you cook. Lots of chefs prefer gas. For me, gas for the cooktop; electric for the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know each of these cooktops from friends' kitchens. They are all attractive and perform well, each cook is happy. I totally understand your concern about fancy electronic things having more opportunity to break as I've had digital control and display components go haywire. With knobs on a cooktop, couple of things to consider if you haven't already: 1) ease of cleaning ... spills and bits get under knobs and around posts that knobs sit on plus the dimensionality of the knobs themselves call for special cleaning, 2) ease of use for someone with hand impairment like arthritis, which based on the quality of appliance you're considering, you could anticipate a 20 yr use of the equipment and / or dirty cooking hands ... with digital you can adjust with just the tip of the pinky finger, and 3) can you lock out the knob controls so curious hands can't turn them on if playing? ... digital controls all have lock out sequences so the cooktop can't be turned on unless intentionally. Just "food for thought" re: your cooktop decision. Eager to see what you choose. Yes, I have digital controls and I like them, hope they don't break just cause I said that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally love the smooth electric cooktops! I know many people today want gas, but I don't get it, clean-up seems difficult. With my electric cooktop...clean up is a breeze!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Viking! I use electric but have heard amazing things about induction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your choice is excellent. Viking products are one of the best. I have a counter top stove, electric and it' s Jennaire, not my choice but it came with the house....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Viking, but I would probably go for the Wolf. I have a gas stove that is very difficult to clean, it makes me consider getting an electric one when the time comes for a replacement! Those knobs look good but again, you won't like to keep on cleaning those suckers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!