Sunday, July 26, 2015

From Tween to Teen - A Boy's Room Re-do

A kid growing up is a natural transition that WE are all faced with.
Be it YOU, yourself growing up, or be it your own child, it's a change both anticipated and "dreaded" (to some degree) by EVERYONE.

And with that change, comes some change too in their rooms.
Well, this one stemmed from a bit of "BED-SWITCHEROO" really.

First, with the new NURSERY, the queen-sized bed in the former guest room got moved to my younger son's room - then his bed, was moved to my older son's room which made his bed back into a bunk bed! Got it?!

And with this one change, the whole room just got to be re-done since it's one move after another, I know, you know what I mean. ;-)
I thought it perfect timing too, since my formerly tween son is now a teen and going to boarding school this fall  (sniff...sniff). His room will be an alternative guest room once he is gone since we still have the BASEMENT GUEST ROOM for such purpose.

Anyway, just a brief reminder of how this room looked before when we finished it for 
my first ORC (One Room Challenge ) back in 2013...

Our Tween Boy bedroom then

And here is what it looks like now...

See what I mean...
Having the tall bunk bed back made us move it to it's current location since whoever's gonna be sleeping above will get dinged from the close ceiling fan.

Got my bedding from TJ Maxx & Ross respectively, it's by Tommy Hillfiger
Seating/extra bed too!
This was where the former Study area was...

This is what used to be there


I also moved the repainted mid-century dresser that used to be beside the bed, across the current bed.

Proud momma hung his current Academic achievements above


I moved one of the book case that flanked the TV beside the dresser
Displayed too some of his medals here
Bookcase surprisingly remained organized
The Book Case I moved
Current Study area
I didn't want to move the wall art I made for above the bed (This is a FREE printable I made HERE),
so it stayed put where it was, but now above the study area.
Not much change in our Reading Nook

Overall, my son says he likes  the current set-up as well and still looks forward to using his room a lot when he comes home on weekends (he'll be studying in St. Louis).

As for me, I'm glad that the bed-switching worked out in the end for this room. 
But what about this room...

Yup, my younger one has outgrown Dr. Seuss (or so he says)
So I'm gearing up for decorating for another BOY TWEEN ROOM soon!

Wish me luck!


Have a Great Week!

VEL 

18 comments:

  1. wowsers this is lookin soooo good!!!Lucky Boy!!! xoxoox Christine from Little Brags

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! It would be so hard to remove the Dr. Seuss...they grow up too fast!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks great! The bed switching seems to have worked out well. I like the nook for reading. Have fun with your younger son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Vel! Going away huh, that's a big step. He's going to have a ball!! Enjoy every minute of the summer together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow pretty girl! You are a great interior desingner! I've never seen such an elegant, practical and gorgeous boy's room. Lucky boy to have a mami like you!
    Enjoy your weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. And amazing room for your young man! You are such a talented organizer and decorator. xxx Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another perfect transformation without costing anything. Very functional, Vel!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly what you mean, we are talking about doing the same thing in our house. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He was one lucky boy then, and he is still one lucky boy! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This room is so perfect...very cool for a young guy yet it has sophistication. I actually think it looks larger with the bunk beds, or maybe the way you have arranged it. I love the colors, I want to do these at the lake when we finally can.

    Great job as always, Vel! You are a designer at heart! :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually don't like bunk beds, but this one is so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that gallery wall is really wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing room! I still love that reading nook too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that everything works out for your son in the end! Now I am looking forward to see how you decorate your younger son's room. Can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. fabulous work, vel! i love the greens you brought in, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!