Sunday, February 5, 2012

Aidan's 7th Spongebob Underwater-themed Birthday Party


We had 2 celebrations for Aidan when he turned 7. One was in the Philippines, at McDonalds, where they usually take care of everything, and I mean everything (from the hosts, to the games and yes, of course the foods, games and prizes!). And one at our home. 

Aidan wanted a SPONGEBOB Party and I added a simple twist by making it more fun with an underwater-themed party. He was really so excited and I was too! However, as the day grew closer, I was panicking, thinking of a way to turn our purple basement into an underwater haven! 

With sheer luck (and the help of some online stores & a couple of friends who helped me set-up - Hubby, Grace and Kat), I was able to come up with this...



Snorkeling fun



The wall murals are from partycheap.com, they weren't cheap at all, they cost about $20 each! But they are super big (30 feet long!), I bought 3 but ended up using only 2 in our huge basement!

glub, blub, blub.....
More fishies hanging from the ceiling

I bought the inflatable fishes from Oriental Trading.com. They were relatively cheap, ranging from $8-13/dozen (here is the LINK). I bought 4 dozens. I added the squiggly balloons, which I got from Divisoria in the Philippines for < 1 cent each! I hung them using unfolded paperclips, easy to put up and remove.


GAMES ZONE

Game area

PLAYTIME

I got the Spongebob "Happy Birthday" banner from Party city for around $5. The inflatable ring toss was also from Orientaltrading.com ($10). I figured we can still use it this summer once we open up our pool.

The Spongebob Balloons are from the Divisoria, 25 cents a piece! We inflated them using our compressor.


STAGE ZONE


We hired a balloon artist/magician so we had to set-up a stage area for him. The banner was a gift from an aunt from the Philippines. The Spongebob Back drop is from Party City ($10).


Ready for the show!

Birthday boy ready to party wearing his beach attire!
The full set-up with Mr. Sam Cremens - Balloon Artist and Magician


PICTURE & DANCE ZONE



Cutee

I added this sort of "picture-taking-space" on one wall. I bought this super cute inflatable whale from Orientaltrading.com and some inflatable wigs from Lakeside collection.com ($6 each).


See...
Cutee kids


Even grown-ups are having fun!

PRIZES AND GIVE-AWAYS


Prize station

I mostly got the stuff for the prizes from Divisoria and clearance sales from Walgreens and Walmart. Spongebob is very popular so finding prizes was easy peasy! :->


Give-aways
ANATOMY OF A LOOT BAG:

I got the loot bag from Divisoria 50 cents each.

Knapsack bag

I just used a picture of Aidan, added border and printed them wallet-size, and viola! Easy "Thank You" Card 


What's inside

Banners atop food set-up

Another view of the Party room
KIDDIE FOOD

I set-up the kids food on the peninsula in our basement kitchen. As always, we served cake, pizza, chips and fruit. 

Chips, mallows and strawberries

But to spice things up a bit, I added this Nacho Bar with chili and cheese! Yum! T'was a hit!  I also made some lemonade, to make it truly feel "summery beachy"!

Nacho Bar

Cake - courtesy of Walmart - cute!


GROWN-UP FOOD SET-UP


Dining room set-up

Chocolate fountain station
I placed the desserts on the buffet table. We had a chocolate fountain with a super yummy chocolate recipe courtesy of my friend,  Anne R. For the dippers, we had marshmallows, strawberries, bananas, pretzels and potato chips! YUM! I also made some leche flan and added orange slices.

YUMMMM

For the main buffet, I made pinoy-style spaghetti, Baked salmon, and we also had crab rangoon, beef with broccoli, Hunan chicken, shrimp with veggies, tofu & veggies, rice of course, rolls from Honeybakers, barbecued chicken courtesy of our friend Grace P., chicken surprise courtesy of Jonjet V., spring rolls courtesy of Mellie C., Beans with beef courtesy of Lina W., Beef siomai courtesy of Gerrie E., and Spinach salad courtesy of Krista P.!!!



After weeks of preparation, I can say the party was a huge success...


A Big puff!
Because in the end, this little guy's smile, happiness and all his "THANK YOU's" were all the really mattered!

Happy birthday boy


Linking back to
Mums Make List

28 comments:

  1. whenever i had a chance, i check out your blog. VERY NICE & CREATIVE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sophia and cesca loved your bday party ideas..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhoda!!!!! I hope I could invite them, it will surely be more fun then! :-)

      Delete
  3. Omg this is my birthday party in 4 months

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I'm sure it will be a blast! Thanks for the visit Massie!

      Delete
  4. Omg this is my birthday party in 4 months

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg this is my birthday party in 4 months

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg this is my birthday party in 4 months

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg this is my birthday party in 4 months

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Lynn I love your set up my son loves spongbob we have his FIRST birthday in Jan and I am looking up n down for party supplies I pray it will come thank u

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking for a spongebob theme for my son's 2nd bday and I saw your blog. I had gotten lots of ideas from you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great spongebob party you thought if everything!! I had a question, is Divisoria a place you shopped in person or an online store? Is it available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! unfortunately DIvisoria is a place in the Philippines. No online store most definitely. Oriental trading have great, cheap stuff, you can try that. :-) Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! I will try oriental Trading company.

      Delete
  11. love your ideas, in the process of planning my daughters spongebob summer jam, i am using sponges as invitations and krabbie patties as the actual cake with sugar cookies as kelp fries

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your decor is awesome and that cake is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey I would really love to find those drawstring bags. Where did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them from the Philippines unfortunately, but I saw similar ones on ebay ----http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xspongebob+drawstring&_nkw=spongebob+drawstring&_sacat=0&_from=R40

      Delete
  14. Hey I love this idea. My daughter's birthday is in January and we have decided to do Spongebob since that is all she talks about. Where did you find the drawstring bags? I have been searching for some of those since about May and have come up empty handed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from the Philippines. But I saw some similar ones on EBAY -http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xspongebob+drawstring&_nkw=spongebob+drawstring&_sacat=0&_from=R40

      good luck with your party! I'm sure it will be a blast no matter what!!!

      Delete
  15. yey! thanks for this blog! got an idea for my baby's birthday. he also love spongebob! thanks you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great sponge party,I love your idea .Thank for sharing.Nice Blog.
    melamine sponge material

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like your party location and all decorations. Even all kids also look very stunning in their dresses. I hope you had great party and enjoyed it a lot.

    sweet 16 venues nyc

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post! Thanks for sharing your ideas about birthday theme party celebrations.PartyManao is your one-stop online party supplies and planners. Visit partyManao.com for your party planning needs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. woow.. i like the concept and the outcome of your party..GreatJob!! More partyblogs pleaseeee..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!