Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tiles for our Kitchen & upcoming Renovation

As you may have guessed by now, we are on the verge of a Kitchen renovation for this coming summer    (that is, if our re-financing pushes thru.. :-) Fingers crossed ladies...)

I started my Kitchen question by asking you guys Which tile would you choose with this countertop...

quartz countertop

I truly appreciate all the inputs on this. But in the end, I decided to just start with a new countertop all together and choose the tile first. So I chose this...

Oyster White

I was completely torn between this one and the marble...

carrera marble


Both are beautiful, marble being very elegant, timeless and also can go with any type of kitchen design I could think of!

But in the end I chose the Oyster white tile because I love that it is unique, pearlescent, and reminds me of 'home". Yes, home, the Philippines, since it is like capiz and pearls abound in my home country! So I wanted to pay homage to the Philippines in this kitchen as well, even if it's just the backsplash! I think it will make a huge statement and heartfelt sentiment for me!

This is a sample of what it will look like applied to the wall..

source - all shimmery and shiny :-)
source - bigger version of the tile
The Shaker style cabinets in the second picture is what I will also be using for our kitchen too. I am working with a Design Coordinator, Heather Lapham  of E.A. Knight Construction Company on this project,  and she's come up with some designs I'll be sharing with you in the next couple of days or so.

I never thought space planning for kitchen cabinet was a whole other 'monster', as my contractor told me. Lay out and design will be entirely up to me, but Heather will help me out and give me a fresh perspective on wether my design is feasible or practical.

I know renovating the kitchen is one of the toughest types of renovation, and for us, a huge FIRST, since we never really renovated anything in this house ( or our other houses for that matter). I also believe it will be a good 'first' for us since, it is a much used space, and truly, the heart of any home.

Have you done any major renovation in your home? Any valuable tips or lessons you've learned that you can share?

Wish us luck!!!! And hope you follow along with our progress!

Have  a Lovely Spring Day!





10 comments:

  1. Love the oyster mosaic tiles. There's a hint of modern Filipino to it. :) I can't wait to see the finished product Vel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHooo Vel, I love your new page! You even got a new name, awesome! The tiles you chose are very pretty. Looking forward to all those kitchen projects, that's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tiles are going to be amazing...love the shimmer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice - I love capiz shells too!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vel, I love the sparkly tile. It's a bit glam, but not over the top. Your reno sounds sooooo exciting! I hope you refi goes thru so we can watch you do this project step by step! Have a great week.
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your inspiration picture is so stunning! Wow!! Good luck - hope your project goes ahead:) We have to do our kitchen soon so I would love to see how yours turns out!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, Vel! This is exciting! I know it will be gorgeous after you are all done. Love your selections. I have not done any major reno at home. The most that we have done here was replace the wood floor after it got wet and that was a big mess and a lot of work. So I guess I won't be able to give you any advice. But looks like you're up to a good start....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. That certainly is exciting but I don't envy the ensuing chaos with kids and no kitchen temporarily. I like your choice to do a new counter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice Vel! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am your newest follower. Fabrizia @ www.fabtwigs.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice. I love your choice. This one should done by best construction services.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!