Thursday, February 27, 2014

Crafting for a Cause


My Oldest son Nio, goes to Catholic school.
And every year the school does different fund-raisers to subsidize the school funds for all sorts of activities, updates and just the daily grind of running a private school.

This year, I decided to join the Mardi Gras Committee. And with a fund-raiser like Mardi Gras, there's always a lot of work to be done  for all the different booths for the carnival. 

One of the booths is a Doll Raffle Booth - I gladly obliged to help this area although honestly, I really wasn't sure what I could do to help until they gave me this box...


Not much to work with- a few scraps of fabric, some beads and flowers and of course, the dolls
The leader of this group just told me to dress up these dolls like Princesses and make them look more attractive than their current state. I was up for the challenge, even though I never worked with dolls before, and so here they are…

Ta-da! All dressed up and ready to raffle!

Ok, you don't think I won't brag about each and everyone right? After all, they were all a 'labor of love'… and glue gun ( you know I can't sew!)!

Not the prettiest I suppose but my favorite since she was the first!
I added glitter glue on her sash, flower and hair cut up a bead strand for earring and sequence head dress. I also put rhinestones for her ring and bracelet.

Difficult fabric to work with, I think it's an upholstery fabric, but still turned out pretty I think.
Made the hat from an empty ribbon spool!

Another difficult fabric to work with, very stiff, but still with draping and the ruffles, I think she turned out pretty too.
I added a left over ruffle for her head dress.

I think she looks so modern and simple I only accented her with a ribbon hat and red flower.

Love how the purple fushcia ribbon added to the ends of the fabric made the white stand out.

This is flannel fabric I actually bought at Joann's clearance for $1.50 for 1/2 yard. I love the fish scale pattern and mixed with the greys, pastel elegance!

The 2nd brown fabric I had to work with, I added glitter glue to the dots for some bling and gave her lots of ribbons

The 2nd white fabric but this time I used blue ribbon as accent and shawl

I love the ribbon when  properly cut eventually looked like a crown. I also bought that black tulle with glitters from Joann's clearance for $1.50.

Fuschia and black looks so elegant combined, I added rhinestones on her neck too!
I really enjoyed making these and never realized how fun it was to drape and mix fabrics up on these little models. I hope they sell well during the Mardi Gras!


Which one is your favorite?

Have a Great Weekend! 


VEL 


22 comments:

  1. Vel these are sooo pretty! You did a great job! I think that "Red Carpet Princess" is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! You did such a great job! I would have loved those dresses for my Barbies when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them all! I think you're in the wrong business. You should be a Princess dress designer! I used to make Barbie dresses for my daughters, so I know how hard it is to work on a tiny scale. You need real dexterity. You did such a wonderful job, and I bet your school will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweet Vel, I adore Barbys! I used to play and collect them with my daughters and now I play with the g'girls...adorable and gorgeous! You did a magnificent job, they sure look stunning and so very elegant! What a wonderful cause and you did great, your son is gonna be proud of his mama!
    Thanks for your lovely wishes for our Anniversary.
    Luv ya,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a ball making these! I think my favorite is the knighting ceremony princess. I love her gown! That was very clever to use glitter glue and rhinestones to give them a little bling! You did a great job and I'm sure they'll sell very quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all my favorite! I'm very impressed and know they will be the first to sell and raise money for the school. Love tha band hat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What?? I thought you were a doc, not a fashion designer!! These dolls look amazing. I think you are underestimating how good they look if you "hope they sell quickly"...every girl in the room, including the mommies, are going to want one of these glamour girls! I love that black and fuchsia dress. Seriously, you missed your calling!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, Vel, these are absolutely incredible! You have some serious fashion design talents, my friend! If I had to pick just one, it would be the polka dot dress! These should bring in lots and lots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ang galing mo doc! grabe fan mo talaga ako ! may di ka ba kayang gawin???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my is there anything you can't do?? These are over the top gorgeous. Hard to pick a favorite, but I guess I like the polka dot one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! These are absolutely gorgeous... Sorry, can't pick a favorite, I would just have to pick all of them! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I am totally convinced that you are simply brilliant!! I cannot believe that you made these gorgeous clothes with a glue gun!! I used to sew Barbie doll clothes for my nieces on a sewing machine, which was not an easy task. However, I used patterns. Wow - these are amazing, Vel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my goodness! These dolls are gorgeous and you only used a glue gun!? Honey, you've got it. You were very creative with the fabric and each one looks like a million bucks! I know they will sale like hot cakes!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the second one is my favourite. She makes me think of Scarlett O'Hara goig to see Rhett in prison.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fabulous! Love the white with fuchsia purple ribbon the very best!

    xoxo
    Karena
    An Invitation to the Garden

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Vel, they turned out great! Love love love! My favorite is Visiting Princess.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, amazing! I don't know how you do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am absolutely blown away, these are all AMAZING!!! How did you come up with the idea for them all? And did you use a pattern? Wow, just wow! I really cannot pick a favorite... although I do love "Afternoon Picnic Princess." I'll bet these raise a fortune for your raffle! :)

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are red carpet ready. Next up - dressing the Ken dolls so they have dates! I love the polka dot gals.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word, how do you pick a favorite, these are all gorgeous. Such beautiful detail. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vel, I love your creativity and your attention to details! Each dresses you created were beautiful. Not only you treat children, you can design interiors and make gorgeous clothes, too! You should add fashion designer in your resume, my friend! I am sure these sell like hot cakes! All the gowns are so pretty, I am not sure which to choose. Okay, I think the Asian Princess is my favorite, it looks very high fashion!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow, I love them all! You did such fantastic job. The ones with polka dots are my favorites but all the designs are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!