Sunday, February 16, 2014

Re-upholstering Made Simple

Two weeks ago, I finally did this...


Added some pizzaz to my chairs
I have wanted to use these fabric ever since I saw it on a pillow and you know how much of a sucker I am for malachite!

Plust, the chairs were needing this facelift, really, the seats were just so dirty already that I needed to re-cover them fast!

So, now that you've seen the finish product, I want to share with you how I did this super simple re-upholstering project!



STEP 1 :PICK YOUR FABRIC

The 3 I was choosing from
If it's your first time doing this, make sure to not use your Schumacher or any expensive fabric yet.  That way, if you make any major booboo, your heart won't break a lot.

But DO pick a fabric that you love and avoid any stripes with your first try. The reason being, sometimes with stretching when you start re-upholstering, your straight line might go awry and it's not going to look good.

As you can see, other than loving this, it's pattern-less design makes it easy to use.

Robert Allen Malachite Fabric
STEP 2: REMOVE YOUR SEAT CUSHION

Mine only had 3, some have 4.
STEP 3: CUT AWAY



STEP 4: STAPLE AWAY

Make sure you use something like this...

A worthwhile investment for sure
and not this…

Your project will be doomed from the beginning ;-)




STEP 5: NOW, DEAL WITH THE CORNERS

Perhaps the most tricky part to this project, but almost mistake proof, since you can always straighten the fabric by pulling it tighter and stapling it again. Here's how I did mine...




TA-DA!


IF you do make a mistake, removing and re-adjusting  is easy with this…



Make sure too to AVOID THIS

tsk..tsk… The staples from the original Upholstery of this seat

 And also avoid doing this...



STEP 6: SCREW YOUR SEAT BACK AND ENJOY!


Have you done re-upholstering before? Do you have any other tips to share to us? I know a lot of you have done way more than this kind of project which I hope I'll be brave enough to tackle eventually!


Have a Good day!


*VEL* 

35 comments:

  1. Love this fabric and your chairs look amazing. Fabulous tutorial. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recovered numerous seats and I will say you have written an excellent tutorial. One hint: If you do cover over the screw hole, you can slice it with a small razor to screw through the fabric. I have covered over the holes numerous times :>))) Love that green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love simple re-upholstery projects! What a difference it can make! Now if I could just acquire the bravery and the skills to tackle more complex upholstery......maybe someday. I'd love to try a whole chair. Your fabric is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chairs look great! I love a quick and easy fix that adds lots of pizzazz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vel! Oh, you did a beautiful job on recovering the chair seats! I love that pretty fabric too. I've covered a few seats too and your tutorial is great. I've placed my fabric over the screw holes before and I just slit the fabric a bit and it worked out fine.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a really good job. Love the fabric and I love the chairs. But I have a chair fetish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabric choice, looks wonderful!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chairs look fabulous and you made some great points and a great tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look amazing - love the malachite fabric and such a great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, recovering chairs is such a satisfying project! I'm staring at 4 yards of that same fabric right this second....just waiting until I can get to it. Your chairs are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely adore the malachite fabric~ great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I plan on recovering my chairs soon. Love the fabric you picked. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Vel, you make this project seem so easy. I love your detailed instructions and do have chairs that will be needing reupholstered and now that I have seen your post I should be able to do. Thanks for linking up with Makeover Mondays at Little putty little paint!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab! Fab! Love the fabric you chose too! Thanks for sharing this very informative tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did an awesome job! I'm completely amazed. I've never tried upholstering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Vel, those kind of chairs are terrific...so great to easily change the fabric. Fabulous green! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent tutorial, Vel! I love that green color too. I've never attempted to recover anything, but my hubby did recover our RECLINING wing chair in the living room! Can you imagine? I don't know how he did it while keeping his sanity. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, I LOVE this fabric! Who is it by? What a fabulous DIY, you did an amazing job!!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well look at you! I'm loving that malachite fabric you chose! If you want more practice let me know - I have about a dozen chairs that could use a makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good job on the tutorial. I really feel like I could try this based on your directions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love this project of yours vel...love the fabric as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that fabric Vel and I'm so glad you used it on your chairs! They look fantastic with that pop of green!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I love the boldness of that fabric, and you did an awesome job, Vel!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nothing like fabric to get the feel of new chairs :) Love that green and your tutorial is great! You gave me a good laugh with the stapler :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. love these chairs- the fabric is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did I miss this? SO pretty on those chairs, Vel!! I love that fun pop of color in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This turned out great! I love the fabric and the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously Vel, those are amazing.... and I DIE over the fabric, a personal fave! Love seeing it in action!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love those mid-century chairs. Love you home, too! Great fabric choice and tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. love that fabric!! They look really good, thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Vel! You know I love these...thanks for linking up with us at Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!