Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Displaying my Penny Souvenirs

Do you collect these?


source

Obviously I do...



Ever since we came to the U.S. 
whenever we go somewhere that has the machine that makes these, I'm there.

Aside from the sentimentality, I love that these souvenirs are relatively inexpensive,
easy to lug around and my kids just love turning the wheel and seeing their prize!

I didn't want to keep them in a bottle forever since what is the point of a souvenir if you can't appreciate (or see ) them right?

I thought it best to display them like this...


Penny Wall art

Closer look...


I got the frame on clearance from TARGET. This is what is originally looked like...

$7.73
I was gonna get a Shadow box, but for the size and price, this wall art was way better. 
I removed the backing and added contact paper.

Added my TJ Maxx Laura Ashley Contact paper
I chose contact paper because it's easy to cut (lines on the back) and the pattern in front made 
it easy for me to align my pennies! Win-win!

Of course you can use fabric or gift wrap for this too.

Laid them out...

I initially hot-glued some, but I clumsily burned myself, and so I decided to just use
double-sided foam tape to attach them.

I'm happy with the result but my little one is much happier I think - he loves looking at them all the time now and tries to recall the places and what we did there!

I still have one more penny to add and hopefully, after our upcoming trip, this set is complete... until the next set that is!


How about you, what do you collect when you travel?
Would love to hear your thoughts! Please share away...


Hope you have a Lovely day!

Linking back to...

15 comments:

  1. I have never collected these, but I absolutely love the way you displayed yours. When I travel, I try to bring something back that reminds me of the trip. It's always different. The last time we went to San Francisco, I brought back prints of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect these! And I love the way you displayed them, I might have to pull my stash out and create something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have some of these from our trips to Disney World! This is a great way to display them! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had all of the pennies that my kids collected- what a great way to remember your fun trips! They were fascinated by those machines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've never collected these. See, I am learning something new from you, my friend! I like to collect jewelry when I travel. We'll be going to the Bahamas this summer and I will look for something pretty. They have the emeralds there and I love green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What don't I collect?! Well, my girls get these but they always seem to get lost - this is the perfect way to display them! I also saw bracelets made from them - isn't that fun!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is pretty cool! Love how you displayed them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids used to love those, too! What a great way to display their treasures. Now that theyre older I don't have to get them little momentoes, I just get something for our home made in that country, like a piece of art! Hope all is well and that you have a great week!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! It's a great way to remember you trips! I used to collect these, but I haven't in a while. I think my collection is in a small jewelry box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet boy does indeed collect these pennies. I love your idea for display!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute! They are like intaglios for kids ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such nice way to display your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, I don't collect them, but my son probably would love to, he just hasn't found them yet! I love the way you displayed them, happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful display, Vel. What a great idea!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cool, Vel! I love turning memories into art! It's so much fun, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!