Thursday, May 16, 2013

Lazy Cabinet Painting


CONFESSION: I am a lazy painter.

I will only paint something if it entails maximum of 3 steps.
Yes, you read it right, 3.

Aside from spraying something, the thought of sanding, de-glossing or whatever other step that I need to do before I can splash on the actual color boggles me and makes the task more daunting.

And so, when I did my craft room, I knew this was the perfect opportunity to try on my "Lazy Painting" technique without causing much damage. After all, I am PLANNING to re-paint our laundry cabinets and the entire basement kitchen cabinets. So what better way than to start out small and inconsipicuously with my craft room cabinets!

The materials I used are these...

Along with brushes of course ;-)


1) PRIME, PRIME, PRIME 
I love this product! Covered all the holes and small scratches easily. And the best part about it, I DID NOT NEED TO DE-GLOSS! I actually bought a deglosser for back-up just in case the primer didn't cut it, but IT DID! The de-glosser went back to Lowe's the next day.



I waited about half a day before I applied my actual paint, but really, this primer dried up in an hour!

2) PAINT AWAY



LESSON LEARNED: If your going to paint this 'LAZY way', I should have bought a better brush.
I can see the lines from my Dollar store brush. :-(

3) TAPE 

I did not remove my cabinets from their spot, so I had to tape around the walls and edges in order for me to prime and paint properly.



you can see the streaks from my cheap brush here



We are pleased with the results ( my husband actually wanted to start painting our basement cabinets  right away!)  But I am not sure if the results would be as good if we used a glossier paint finish.
The next cabinet I'm painting is this one...



Yellow maple has got to go

... before we paint MORE cabinets.

I'm painting it black, so I may have to get my primer tinted grey and see.
Anyway, I'll let you know how I do, once I get to it. :-)




Have a Great Weekend & Happy Painting!!!!

 Linking back to these fabulous parties...

10 comments:

  1. Paint is such a quick and simple fix...just the process is a little overwhelming at times. Great job Vel!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm equally lazy - quick and simple or it just doesn't happen! and I love those pulls!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out really well, Vel. Good job! Love the color too....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so lazy too and I HATE painting cabinets!!! LOVE how it turned out! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vel, where have I been? When did you change your blog name? I really need to get out more. I love the new name and the lazy painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful project! Would love for you to share at Simple & Sweet Fridays.
    New Follower!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am gearing up for some painting too. Want to do chalk painting. Not sure if I really like to paint though. Not sure it's my forte. You did a good job. My laundry room cabinets are painted and I love them. You will love yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you did with this choice of paint! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back! Have a great evening, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smartest thing, ever! When I had my kitchen re-done three years ago, I had some of my old kitchen cabinets moved into my laundry room - they matched my kitchen ones, but I wish they were not so dark. I want to lighten up that room - I may try your method, although I am not that much of a DIY person. However, it is only paint and it is the laundry room! Thanks for the inspiration, Vel!! P. S. - your craft space is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!