Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Thankful for friends and shopping

My Mother's day weekend began with a nice morning shopping trip with a girlfriend of mine, Luisa...

This was how my morning began, gorgeous right?


We headed off to  the small town of Cobden, Illinois(1,116 population).

According to WIKEPEDIA,  "The village is named after British politician and free-trade advocate Richard Cobden, who visited the town in 1859.[1] Cobden originated as a farming community (South Pass) known for its apples and peaches. The Illinois Central Railroad still runs through the center of downtown, but once was Cobden's focal point. Cobden's innovative and industrious growers developed packing crates and techniques that kept fruit fresh and undamaged on its freightways to eastern and northern markets. A packaging industry thrived here for decades, and local orchards still thrive. Cobden is host to an annual fall Peach Festival to this day. Today's Cobden is diverse with growers, vineyards, artists, musicians, and shopkeepers leading the old town into a rebirth. A significant number of formerly Mexican citizens, who came here to work the orchards, have become an integral part of the social fabric of the community."

Our first stop was here...


This store was filled to the brim and was in the middle of getting re-organized when we arrived since it was under 'new management'. Here are some of the things that caught my eye...

Gorgeous Framed Fabric art my friend was eyeing

Brass apples galore!

Check out this moroccan tray table...

Posted about this on IG since I don't know if I should buy or not.
I think I will.. ;-)

I'll show you what I actually bought later. 

After this store, we had lunch at a very nice coffee shop called "Yellow Moon Cafe". And true to local bragging, their coffee was superb! My tuna melt was also very delish!

We then went to a local Art & Antique store...

The Anthill Gallery & Village Curiosities

So many things to see.. and buy!
It's a beautiful small store with an art gallery on the back where local southern Illinois artists sell and show off their work. Here's some of the things I saw...

Journals from old book covers - bought one for my son

Natural wood chopping blocks

Bird art

Sculptures

Metal art

Gorgeous Oil Painting

Antique dolls

Crystals & Antique glassware

Small paintings

Beautiful watercolor painting
And here was my stash...



Gorgeous Vintage Sarah Coventry Charm Bracelet-$15
Vintage wool hat -$10

Match Box Container - $3

My Favorite find - $15 Paint by Number painting I'd love to hang in my clinic -$5


4 brass apples -$3-5

Gorgeous Nightie - I think I'm gonna feel like Betty Draper with this one ;-)-$15

Vintage wooden Candy dispenser filled with marbles-$15
But the most wonderful part about this trip, was not the shopping at all.
It was the time spent with this lady..



She's a friend I met ever since we moved to this part of the country and I treasure her company and friendship. I am glad to spend time with her!

She even got me these......



..Given to me weeks ago since she knew how much I love milk glass! 
And I love these all the more than my other pieces because it was given by my friend to me!

I am thankful for this fun day but even more thankful for my wonderful friend!

Have a Nice day!!!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect day and so much fun with a sweet friend. Love the beautiufl milk glass. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I just wanted to remind you that a cloche can be a cake dome, cheese dome, birdcage, terrarium, apothecary jar. Anything you can decorate in or under qualifies. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun. I love milk glass too. You really loaded up on goodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that painting was my favorite too, I also love the bird art, very pretty! I'm glad you had such fantastic time,Vel!
    Hugs,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed the day with your friend & found some treasures! Love your new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect way to spend a day! I love all the artwork.

    Have a gorgeous day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like my kind of fun! Your milk glass pieces will fit in nicely I'm sure! What a nice friend to buy you those!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!